Mucho Macho at the Hecho Barber Shop

San Miguel scales new heights of urban sophistication at an astonishing pace.

A French bakery that calls itself an "Atelier du Pain" opened a month ago. Meanwhile, a new "Interpretation Cuisine" restaurant that offers a weekly tasting menu of six or seven delicious spoonful-size servings was so successful it moved to a much fancier location in the Centro. Naturally prices went up, to a still a bargain of $450 pesos.

Two weeks ago we noticed that the city had even purchased mid twentieth century-style compacting garbage trucks to replace the old system of an open dump truck with three or four disposal technicians aboard, knee-deep in garbage and fielding stuff tossed by a guy on the ground, while simultaneously swatting flies and keeping an eye on anything of value in the stream of debris.

Out in the boonies regulation dumpsters have appeared too, even in small towns, so folks frustrated by the lack of regular trash pick ups don't throw it along the roads.

Can't argue with modernity, I tell you.

Where macho men hang out. 
Of most interest to expat men, particularly those who have any hair left, is the opening of a barber shop dedicated to male grooming called "Hecho Hombre."

Not sure what the name means exactly. "Man Made"? "Made Man"? Whatever. Stew and I have become regulars.

Before Hecho, men only had two choices for haircuts.

One was the ancient Mexican-style barber shop where typically a guy who learned the trade from his uncle cut your hair for thirty or forty pesos. Cheap enough but you were likely to walk out looking like a rustic from Pátzcuaro, in town looking for a decent restaurant.

Shortly after we moved to San Miguel twelve years ago—true story—I spotted a shop near the Jardín that struck me for its silence when I walked in. No radios, no customers, no "buenos días" from the barber, no sound at all.

As I began to explain the cut I wanted, the barber shook his head and pointed to three heads for his electric clipper lying on the counter. The barber was deaf-mute.

The three clipper choices ranged from "a light trim," "medium well" and "you're in the Army now." I opted for the medium well. Though I was both awed and sorry by the man's predicament and tipped him generously, I didn't go back again.

Desperate to get a decent cut, some expat men resort to frilly women's hair salons, decorated with crystal chandeliers, plaster reproductions of Greek statues and copies of "Hola" magazine with breathtaking reports about the latest joys and travails of European royalty.

You soon discover that the coiffeurs at these salons are mostly interested in dye jobs and intricate cuts and styles for expat women, who'd sit on the chair for hours looking like Martians with little tinfoil bows stuck in their hair.

M. Israel Magaña, Maître Coiffeur
I was definitely not interested on a dye job. When I arrived in San Miguel I tried one of those coloring jobs out a bottle and the resulting jet-black mane made me look like a Halloween version of  Ricardo Montalbán.

When visiting one of these salons I distinctly felt neglected, as if men's cuts were something to fill gaps in the schedule while waiting for the more profitable women clients.

Not so at Hecho Hombre, where men are kings.

The shop is tiny but meticulously designed in a style I'd call Macho Retro. The color scheme is mostly black and white and the chairs the old-fashioned type that have been restored. Reading material includes GQ in Spanish and sports magazines.

Another satisfied customer. 
Greeting you at the door is a young guy with a fabulous black Babylonian beard that sets the tone. As a sort of maître d' he juggles appointments that can be made in person, by phone or online at Hecho's website. He then offers you a bottle of water or a shot of mezcal, as you wait your turn for one of the two barbers.

I've settled on Israel Magaña, a shy 21-year-old who must weigh about a hundred pounds. He has some barbering-related tattoos, including a pair of scissors under his sideburns, and holes in his earlobes.

Over the course of thirty or forty minutes he sculpts your hair carefully and meticulously as if he were dusting a hand grenade. That's the kind of attention I like.

The result is perfection. One time he was so proud of his work that he pulled out a camera and took my picture.  Vanity your name is Alfredo.

My latest tonsorial masterpiece. 
On the way out you're offered mints and a hot towel to wipe your face, as you peruse shelves of male grooming products. I understand Hecho offers old-fashioned shaves with hot towels and skin emollients to pamper you and soften the old wrinkles a bit, and even wax for moustaches. I don't have enough whiskers to indulge in any of that.

I was so elated after my last visit I walked out without paying the $250 pesos for my cut.

Not to worry: The Babylonian guy chased me down the street to ask for his money.

###

Comments

  1. My barber keeps moving further away from me (hint?). Now he 18 miles, 37 minutes per Google. And he is only open on Tu, We and Th. I tried a new shop near, but the music was so loud, and all they were doing were long on top and shaved sides, not tapered. I walked out. I'm think about the one at the VA hospital. Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil: Where do you live that you're having all these tonsorial difficulties?

      al

      Delete
    2. I've lived in the same area of Phoenix for 55 years. The shop that had the loud music had a blackboard, with a HUGE 25 on it. It finally occurred to me that was the price per haircut. They did take their time, about 35 minutes per haircut. I think I'll look for an older barber working out of his remodeled garage.

      Delete
  2. San Miguel is becoming "beyond precious"...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precious and you love it Barbara, admit it.

      And where do you get your fabulous hair done anyway? I'm sure it's not a 150-peso "estética" by the San Juan de Dios market.

      Nothing wrong with owning up to your vanity.

      al

      al

      Delete
  3. I was checking out you and Stew's haircuts last week. Que guapo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Secret Admirer: Thank you for the compliment whoever you are.

      Al and Stew

      Delete
  4. Israel himself would be a good reason to visit. The fact that he gives an excellent haircut probably renders him now-indispensable.

    I'm surprised that the options before were so slim. If nothing else, most Mexican men seem to get their hair cut regularly and to a high standard. In fact on my Mexican road trip in 2014, I had no trouble getting great haircuts all around the country after a bit of careful looking around. But I didn't try to get a haircut in SMA, so perhaps the Gringo presence has badly affected barbers there. Who knows?

    As an amusing side-note, the guy who cut my hair in Mexico City was also called "Isrrael," though the double "Rs" provoked a number of jokes away from his presence. We would refer to him using exaggeratedly LONG, well-rolled erres.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Redding, CA
    Where we've lucked out to find a nice young woman who specializes in mens hair and does a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, where have you been? And where are you? Back in Redding?

      Israel is good and $14US doesn't seem excessive for a haircut, particularly compared to Chicago where the going rate had gone beyond $50 plus tip, and that was 12 years ago. On the other hand, Patrick, the guy who cut my hair there did a fabulous Liza Minnelli on Halloween and that was worth something.

      Try: "R on R cigarro, R con R barril, rápido corren los carros de ferrocarril," to fine-tune your "r's."

      al

      Delete
    2. Hola Al,

      I'm still (still!) stuck in Redding, CA, probably through the end of February at the earliest.

      Saludos,

      Kim G

      Delete
  5. Look out! After “beyond precious” comes “terminally quaint (or hip).” Think Sausalito, Laguna Beach, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been to Sausalito or Laguna Beach, but I think we're headed that way, particularly with the flood weekend tourists from Queretaro, Mexico City and Monterrey. The rate of housing construction around here is amazing.

      al

      Delete
  6. A rustic from Pátzcuaro? Watch it, Bub.

    I'm with Babs. Beyond precious. And 250 pesos? How SMA is that? I pay 35 for an excellent trim, done by a woman who's the best barber I've had in my life. I'm guessing that's Stew in the mirror shot. How'd you score such a handsome fellow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babs and you are now agreeing? Next thing the earth will start spinning in the opposite direction.
      The guy in the mirror was a total stranger, a gringo of course.

      Haircuts in San Miguel are the least of the price inflation around here, caused by Chilangos and people from Queretaro and Monterrey who clog up the Centro on weekends. Restaurant prices are going through the roof.


      al

      Delete
    2. Aside from politics and the advisability of living in San Miguel, I wager that Babs and I agree on quite a few things.

      Delete
    3. That's what I like to hear. My blog promoting peace and understanding among two slightly cranky people.

      al

      Delete
  7. Ha, ha. Well I'll be, as we say in the South. Felipe and I agreeing. You'll be surprised to know that I pay a mere $30USD for color, cut, shampoo and blow dry in SMA. In the USA, I would pay close to $200USD. No fancy pants places for me. And as to the "precious" restaurant prices, not the "locals" places where one can still get a nutritious and filling meal for under $10USD..........Ya gotta shop around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did they do to you or with you for $200 dollars? The most my cross-dressing barber in Chicago ever charged me was $60 dollars plus tip, and for that I'd get to see his excellent Liza Minnelli on Halloween. As for ten-dollar meals, yeah you can do that. But in our dotage we deserve to treat ourselves to one of the better restaurants in town, at least one in a while. As the Oreal commercials used to say: "Because you're worth it."

      al

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let us hear your opinions, thoughts and comments

Popular Posts